I also found out that I have until Wednesday NEXT week to get my project documentation done. So I might even have time to finish doing some more outlining, once my finger heals up a little bit.
This is the rose slip with both rounds of couching completed. I won't have time to do the other three slips before I submit it for the competition. I've got holes in my sewing fingers as well as being short on time. I will take a photo of the whole thing as it stands now and post it tomorrow.
I'm pleased with how the second round of couching came out. I am a bit concerned that it may be too heavy but have to remember that this is meant to be seen from a distance, so it needs to be chunky.
This is the purple slip with all the outside done. An hour should get the inside bits done.
Good news, the green silk arrived. The person I bought it from sent it to the wrong address. But that wasn't what caused the hold up. The bloody Australia Post contractors didn't put the notification card in my letterbox. So it's been sitting at the post office for a week!! The service has definately gone down hill since they started using contractors. Anyway, once I get the last little bit of gold done on the purple slip, I will finish the yellow one off, so I can get it glued up and ready to go. While that is drying, I can work on the other two already on the backing.
The next decision is do I put it in the competition as a completed piece or a work in progress?
Work in progress saves me time in making and then unmaking when I want to do additions, but I loose points for a work in progress.
This is the purple slip tacked onto the black velveteen. It's been sewn on using black cotton. Then the gold outlining has been started. I think I will need to do two rows of gold to cover the edges properly.
The velveteen is not the best fabric to be working on in a house with two cats!! So you will have to forgive the various bits of fluff on it at this stage.
This image shows the back of the slip glued to the linen backing material. The backing material stabilises the whole of the embroidery and also helps to stop the edges from fraying.
I cut the slips out properly and pinned them to the black velveteen that I will be using for the finished bed hanging. I tried taking photos, but none of them came out very good.
These are the slips cut out of the main bit of fabric after the glue has dried. The fabric glue was the best option as it dried clear (like the wood glue) but it was more flexible and also acid free - which is important of longevity.
The slips have been glued to the fine linen backing material using a commercial fabric glue. I used a foam brush to put the glue onto the linen backing fabric. It gave a consistent, thin layer of glue.
I had a bit of a horrible day, was just totally exhausted. So I ended up doing the gluing at midnight!!
Sorry I've been off the grid for the last week or so. I've been flat chat at work, off sick, and still no modem at home, so I haven't posted. I was going to post some photos from Spring War, but not really anything too exciting, so I don't think I will bother.
The yellow slip is progressing. I've done all the black outlining and started on the flowers. I am waiting for the green silk to get here from China. With a bit of luck, I will have it finished by the end of the week and I can start on constructing the finished product.
A special thanks to Lady Louise de la Mare for her assistance on tracking down a source related to slip methodology.