30 March 2004

The Stitcher's Five - Beginning Stitcher


1. When did you first start stitching?
My Nan taught me to stitch when I was about 8 years old.

2. How long have you been stitching?
Although I learnt when I was young, I stopped embroidery for years and years. I started doing patchwork for a while but I have only seriously gotten back into embroidery in the last 18 months. I am enjoying it more now and doing more work now that I have a focus and use for it.

3. Did someone teach you or did you teach yourself?
My Nan taught me the basics (chain and stem stitch) and from that I have pretty much taught myself. I have a tendency to like hobbies or sports that no one else does, so I have learnt to be self relient when it comes to teaching myself new skills. And I have found that with the right book or website, its possible to learn just about anything.

4. Describe your first project (if you can remember!).
I'm sure it was one of the those pre-printed linen things, either a doily or napkin.

5. When did you first realise that stitching was for you?
Really, since I have started up again in the last 18 months, I have really enjoyed it. I have the type of personality where anything I do much have some sort of practical application. And my apologies to the cross-stitchers here but putting things on the wall when finished isn't really something that appeals to me. So doing embroidery in the contaxt of the SCA gives me the chance to make stuff that will actually be used (clothing, accessories, purses etc) and I find that particularly rewarding.

0 comments: