2 May 2006

This and That

Good news is that it looks like I will be able to get most of the data on my crashed drive back. Bad news is that it is probably going to cost about $500. I am a bit worried cause the guy said there is only 7Gb of data on the drive, I thought there was more than that. As long as I get my embroidery stuff and SCA stuff back, I don't really care about the rest.

Thanks for the comments about the new outfit. I know that the bodice is a bit loose. But it is a much better fit than my other wool dress, even if it doesn't look like it. I managed to get some help making it fit better. But part of the problem is it's hard to fit a dress on yourself. I've asked for help but it is a bit hard to come by. I think part of the problem is that people have this idea that I am good at making clothes. But I'm not really that good. I don't have the patience for it. So it's hard to get help.

As far as underwear for this type of outfit, the received wisdom is that everyone wore pairs of bodies ie corsets. That might be the case, but I'm not entirely convinced that all levels of society would have worn them. Upper class, yes, but they seem an awful lot of work for someone at the lower levels of society to bother with. I think some sort of breast binding more likely, or having inbuilt support in the bodice (perhaps hemp cord) rather than a separate garment. I have no evidence for this. Just what I think.

The bodice is fairly tight, but not so much as to be uncomfortable. It could probably be tighter, but I can't get it there by myself. Also, there is no boning. If I was to put boning in the front of it, it would stick into me when I sit down. I also don't use canvas to interline the bodice, only drill. I can't get the right sort of canvas, and I think it looks stiff. I don't like too stiff clothing, because at most events, I am working all the time, doing various jobs. If all I was doing was sitting around, I might go for something more formal, but part of the reason I do middle class/merchant class is because that reflects what I do in the SCA. I work, and my clothes reflect that.

0 comments: