12 July 2006

Against The Wind

Yet, Freedom! yet thy banner, torn, but flying, streams like the thunderstorm against the wind.


A bit of nostalgia for those of my generation. Channel 7 have, after many years of swearing it will never happen, released the landmark Australian mini-series "Against the Wind" on DVD. Yeah.

I remember watching this on TV when it first came out. I was 8 years old. I loved it then and I love it now. Did I love it because I loved history or did I come to love history because of this show? It was the first of a whole series of mini-series that were produced for Australian television. The first and I would still argue the best. I am on holidays next week and my treat will be watching this series all in one go.

For those interested, it's available at many of the larger DVD sellers such as JB HiFi and HMV. I got my copy online at EzyDVD. HMV also have the CD soundtrack, with one of my all time favourite songs, "Six Ribbons".

If you are interested, Stefan from Sweden has maintained an Against the Wind homepage for many years, why not drop by and say hello. There are few postings in the forums about other places to get the DVD and once people have a chance to watch it again, I'm sure the other discussions will pick up.


Too-ra-lee, too-ra-lie, all I can share
Is only six ribbons to tie back your hair

0 comments: