13 April 2007

Buttonhole vs Blanket Stitch

Many modern stitchers use the terms buttonhole and blanket stitch interchangeably. But there are important differences between buttonhole stitch and blanket stitch. The best demonstration of the two stitches I've found is at The Heritage Shoppe. This is the type of buttonhole stitch I use. I use this for putting in the eyelets on pouches. These eyelets are put under alot of pressure and friction from the drawstrings and if you use blanket stitch, it tends not to hold up to the wear and tear as well as buttonhole stitch. I've found another stitch diagram for buttonhole stitch, worked in the opposite direction as the one I use, but it probably works just as well.

1 comments:

Excellent point about the differences between the two stitches...i love your blog...mj