1 June 2004

Interesting Day

Yesterday was an interesting day. It started when the washer in the taps in the shower went. We had to end up turning the watetr and the hot water service off until we could get a washer.

Then on the way to work we saw the start of what we later found out was the beginnings of a huge Police chase. We were driving to work and saw a car hoon around a corner. Then a police car, with sirens and lights, went after it. We then saw both go down a parallel road. We kept on going to work and about another 100m down the road, another police car went past. When Adam dropped me a work, I could hear the sirens at the back of the Uni, so I knew they were up at Shortland. When we got home, we found out that by the time they got to Raymond Terrance, they were on the wrong side of the road, with a missing tyre and 20 police cars behind them. This is pretty big news for us. While we are a big town, we don't get alot of police chases. It turned out these four guys had been on a bit of a rampage. They had knocked off half a dozen cars, carjacked a couple of women and done a ram raid at once of the big shopping malls. Of interest, one of the suspects that got caught was from my suburb. No name yet as they are in court this afternoon. So I should find out the name then.

And finally, the first whales of the season were spotted off the coast yesterday. They should increase in number over the next couple of weeks. There is also talk of a mother with two albino calves. It makes my anti-whaling letters of the mid-70's (when I was about 7 yrs old) seem like work well done. You can stand on the coast and see whales only a 100 feet out to see. It is very cool.

On the stitching front, I've been working on my tent stitch and split stitch. I was actually able to do almost two hours on the split stitch last night and my eyes didn't feel too bad at all.

0 comments: