18 May 2007

Support

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the support. I hope my previous post didn't come off too whiner or bitter sounding!

I suppose what I was trying to get at is that it's good that the judges were being strict on wanting everything documented. And I am the first one to admit that these two pieces of documentation weren't the best I've ever written (I should've supported the use of single gold thread, instead of double for example), but there has to be some leeway when asking for documentation otherwise you will get a limited number of items always showing up, for example, while they are wonderful, how many of the little 14th C German brick stitch bags are out there?? Alot, because someone wrote some really great documentation on this topic, so for someone looking for a quick project, that they can full document, this is an easy out. Same with the heraldic bag, I found one great article that gave all the necessary technical info and historical background, so in essence, all I had to do was make the bag.

Yes, documentation is great, but that needs to be balanced against the goal of encouraging the design of original pieces based on period techniques and materials and context.

1 comments:

I know I'm a day late with the comments but I was net-free yesterday... :)

I too have seen direct copies get better marks than original pieces and disagreed with the marking. Nowadays I only enter A&S competitions to make up the numbers.

Your badge is one of the most beautiful pieces of work I've seen in quite a while. Ignore the judges - I love it for its originality as well as it's skill (and I don't care about the single-thread/double-thread issue either). :)