Once I had finished my Embers and Ash Quilt, I had alot of grey strip block offcuts. Some were quite narrow, others were just short of the required block size. As such, I didn't want to waste them. So I wanted some thing that would use them up without much work or the requirement to buy more fabric. I also happend to have a bit of plain grey fabric left over from the backings (from the orange and grey and also from the pink and grey streak lightening quilts). So I randomly cut the left over strips into smaller strips as below.
I then cut the solid greys into rough square and then cut them in half on an angle. The grey pieced strips were then sewn in and the resulting blocks were then pressed and trimmed to clean 9 1/2" blocks.