3 January 2013

Reconsidering The Log Cabin Block

I have to admit, I've always been a bit biased against the poor old Log Cabin block.  I don't know why. I've always been drawn to the more traditional designs of patchwork and quilting. So I'm not sure where the bias came from.

So now I find myself in the postion of making two Log Cabin quilts. Well, the blocks for them anyway.

These are the strips for the very traditional version of the blog. The strips are left over from my Ohmygosh Redux quilt. They are 1 1/2 inches wide with varing lengths. I went with the traditional Turkey Red for the centre square. I should end up with about 36 squares.
The second one is going to be a more modern interpretation. I've been slowly sucked in by all the lovely greys that are now so popular. Normally I'm not into grey, but there are so many nice, warm greys at the moment. So I ordered up quite a few and had to come up with something.

I have a pretty good collection of pinks and that with grey is a pretty traditional combo. Below, on the left of the cutting board is the various strips cut out. The long strips on the right are the leftover pinks. I might have gotten a bit carried away with the cutting out! I didn't really calcuate the requirements, just kept cutting.
Below are the left over grey, after I've cut the required strips. Again, a bit over excited with the cutting. But, I have another quilt planned for the left over grey involving some nice orange fabrics.

2 comments:

I love Log Cabins also. Interesting choice of orange with the greys, but I think it will look fabulous together.

Log Cabin is such a great pattern - and so many options with it. I've made a few and have got one or two more on my wish list. Your pink & grey will be lovely.